14 October 2016

Mahdist Uniform details from Military Modelling circa 1985!




Wonderful colour plates by Richard Scollins


I often go trawling through old magazines on the shelves (remember those - made of paper?) and love the wonderful uniform and battle/campaign information you can still glean out of so many of them. To my mind they are still gold.


I have, to the best of technologically challenged ability, put up a wonderful article by the very famous Ian Knight, colonial expert without peer, which makes for some fascinating reading.  This comes from the July 1985 issue.


Even the old fashioned typesetters could occasionally make a mistake in their spelling!!




Wonderful black and white illustrations- wish they were in colour


I am unaware of the copyright requirements on reproducing this article from a now defunct publication however I acknowledge that all copyright and ownership of these plates and the article itself is the domain of Richard Scollins and Ian Knight. 


If you wish to reproduce or copy them on a blog or what-not if you would also acknowledge their excellent work it would be greatly appreciated by everyone.




  

10 comments:

  1. Carlo,

    Great inspiration came from such articles in MM. Articles which had the artwork of Scollins, Marrion, Embleton and others have never been equalled. They remain a treasure in my hobby memorabilia.
    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine as well John. They had such a knack of capturing not my the correct uniform details but the character of the soldier/ warrior as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh I remember that one. ,Mil Mod had some cracking stuff back them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In its hey day Dave it was a sensational publication with so much great information on modelling, painting, special units etc. I am glad I hung onto so any of them.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great article I have a few dozen more Mahdists to repaint from Andrew Parr, which I hope to finish for our Christmas wargaming bonanza and to be sure I will use the top image as my uniform guide....champion stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Wargaming Bonanza sounds fantastic mate. Look forward to seeing the photographs!!

      Delete
  4. Carlo,
    Mili Mod is still on the go. Battle and the related Practical Wargaming magazine are however long extinct. UK copyright I think continues for potentially 50 years after publication or the death of the artist. Still good articles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott and that is very good to know. I am a very big believer in showing the wonderful work of writers and artists of the calibre of Ian and Richard to new audiences that are not of my vintage however always with the acknowledgement of the origins of the article and due deference to their copyright and ownership.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant.

    I'm busy cleaning up the 30 Mahdists and figure I better check their uniforms as I don't want to clean off anything I shouldn't. One source I have to check of course is With Pyjamas Through The Desert. So here I am. I then think, I should have this article... No, my collection petered out in 1985 so these scans are most helpful.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete