9 February 2018

Sudan Heliograph team now complete - is it a sign?

Looking for the enemy or simply communicating with the column.


Finally I have managed to get a few hours to devote to a project that has been on the table for quite sometime:  My Redoubt Miniatures Heliograph team.


This will be in use for the forthcoming games and testing out some scenarios etcetera for possible future articles and publications.


Another view of the excellent equipment kit from their often forgotten Sudan range.




These Redoubt Miniatures have been in the collection for many years.  When I say collection I do mean "lead pile" and has painted up very well.  I have based them on an irregular footprint so that they can have a suitably rugged environment to do their vital work in.


The table covering is an excellent desert mat recommended to me by the very clever
Dave Docherty of "One Man and His Brushes" fame.

A nice Connoisseur Miniatures animal handler and mule managed to make their way onto the base as well.

Hopefully these will be on the table very soon.

24 comments:

  1. Great looking vignette. I really like that desert mat. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim and thank you very much. Dave D put me onto it through TinyWargames. This one is 13 x 7 and I think it looks fantastic. It is arid/desert combination. I don’t know about you Jim but lugging the tiles up and down stairs, stowage in the car etc. was just getting too much for these aching bones! The mat is just so easy to carry, set up and pack away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed .. I must say the mats make it easy!

      A lovely vignette piece Carlo

      Delete
  3. A wonderful vignette, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They can probably see the 30 Mahdists that I'm currently painting.

    Inspiring vignette, Carlo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you Mark...keep on painting mate.

      Delete
  5. A lovely little vignette. Must get a heliograph for my own collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AJ - I can see these lads getting a run in “I’ve been working on the railroad”.

      Delete
  6. Very sharp! I have the foundry set to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Pat. Make sure you send a few images of your set once it’s complete mate as I always enjoy seeing Colonial collections from all over the globe.

      Delete
  7. Extremely nice vignette indeed, and an absolute must for any collection. I just hope their spotter can see signs of the long awaited scenario and campaign book? I visited the York Wargames show last weekend and the South London Warlords had a great participation using your rules and one of the mats you refer to. All very inspiring and so we are extending our collection to include Bengal Lancers and Infantry and possibly some more jolly Jocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course you know you need two of now these right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh very very nice Mr Carlo. I must have one for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Nathan...now to start on the second...bloody Dave D😉

      Delete
  10. Nice! I'm building up my Sudan collection. Mainly Perry metals and plastics, but I'm tempted by the Redoubt stuff having seen your vignette. Just got Sands of Sudan and I must say, they are a bloody nice ruleset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo and thanks for your nice comments. I’m very pleased you are building up the collection and paying attention to the many various ranges out there. The Redoubt range has done particularly nice pieces. Thanks also for grabbing a set of the rules as it is much appreciated.

      Delete
  11. Excellent work mate, the little bits on the table make all the difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely do Matty. How’s France buddy?

      Delete